PERMANENT – Full Time
- A pivotal strategic and leadership role
- Appealing work life balance and location
- A talented, innovative and responsible individual required
The Tasman Municipality, known for its extraordinary natural beauty, is located only 90 minutes from Hobart on the South East Coast of Tasmania. The Council area covers 659.3 kilometres and has a population of approximately 2400 residents. In summer months, visitors join us to share the beaches, fishing, bushwalking and other attractions, increasing the population to about 9000 people.
Reporting to the Mayor, the General Manager is responsible for the governance and general management of Council. This broad portfolio includes the operation and maintenance of Council chambers, corporate administration and Councillors; regulatory services; economic development; the works department; waste and environment.
Being a rural Council, staff numbers are relatively small – only 16.8 FTE staff, however, the team is ably supported by other local government and private contractors providing a range of 15 professional and technical services. The size of the organisation requires the General Manager to have excellent skills across the full spectrum of local government functions. A hands-on approach is necessary and for the right person, this means the role has great variety, accountability and the opportunity to be a true organisational leader.
- Providing Council with strategic advice and direction
- Advising the Mayor and Council on policy and statutory compliance matters
- Being spokesperson for Council, subject to consultation with the Mayor
- Providing an interface between employees and Council
- Planning, including strategic and operational plans
- Preparing statutory reports, and ensuring appropriate delegations are in place
- Financial management, including annual budgets and estimates of Council
- Public contact for residents and clients of Council
- Risk management
What We Are Looking For
- Strong financial and asset skills to responsibly balance revenue with the varied needs of the community and comply with both legislative and contemporary financial and asset management practices
- An outstanding communicator, verbal and written, with an open and transparent approach
- A proven track record in successfully running a similar sized business with comparable complexity
- Inspiring and motivational leadership that can be demonstrated
- The ability to contribute positively to the strategic outlook while also being able to implement operational plans efficiently and effectively
- A powerful advocate for Council who can build strong and influential relationships in a variety of settings, including with government agencies, the community and business leaders
- Excellent knowledge of the regulatory environment and proven risk management skills
- The capacity to innovate and drive continuous improvement
A tertiary qualification in business, finance or local government equivalents is desired. Previous experience in local government is preferred.
To apply or for further information email: email@example.com or phone (03) 6250 9210.
Applications will be received until COB Wednesday 21st November 2018.