Current Newsletters and Information
- Immendiate Cash Advance - If you are affected by the bushfires and have immediate needs you can seek immediate cash assistance of up to $200 per adult, $100 per child and up to a maximum of $750 per family. This can be accessed by contacting Children and Youth Services South on 62307650. This support is administrated by the Tasmanian Department of Health and Human Services. http://www.bushfirerecovery.tas.gov.au/january_2013_bushfires2/financial_assistance
- Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment (AGDRP) is available in the Sorell, Tasman and Glamorgan-Spring Bay Local Government Areas. Payments of $1,000 per eligible adult and $400 per child are available to assist people who have been adversely affected by bushfires. For more information call 180 22 66 (between 8am and 8pm) or visit www.humanservices.gov.au/disaster
- Clean-up and Assistance Grants - as a result of the bushfires the Tasmanian and Commonwealth Governments are providing Clean-up and Assistance Grants to provide short term targeted assistance for clean-up, removal of debris and further restoration following the bushfires in cases where the impact has been particularly severs. These clean-up grants recognise that small businesses, primary producers and non-profit organisations will have costs that may not be covered by the contract with Hazell Bros and provide assistance for further restoration. All claims must be lodged by 30 June 2013.
- There are two tiers of grants available
- Tier 1 - An upfront lump sum payment to all eligible applicants with a maximum grant of $10,000.
- Tier 2 - A grant of up to $15,000 based on an assessment of impact and quotes or receipts/tax invoices where costs are in excess of Tier One Payments. This payment may be upfrant or a reimbursement of costs.
- Further information and claim forms are available from www.bushfirerecovery.tas.gov.au or by calling 1800 567 567 and in persn at all Service Tasmania Shops.
- At the last Council meeting it was decided that Council will waive all caravan licence fees, together with all planning and building fees applicable for the reconstruction of dwellings and outbuildings within the Tasman Municipality that were destroyed by the Janaury 2013 bushfires. These remissions will remain in place until 30 June 2014. If there are planning and building applications after this date it will be reviewed on a case by case basis. For more information and advice please contact the Council Office on 6250 9200.
Free Financial Planning Advice for People Affected by the 2013 Bushfires
Murdunna Information and Services Hub
- The demountable buildings that are usedas the Information and Services Hub at Murdunna is now also available for public use. Each building has basic tea and coffee facilities and limited furniture. The Murdunna rooms are currently open on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday between 1pm and 4pm; call into see the rooms or to have a chat about what you might like to see happening there (such as play group). for further information please contact Evey Vincent 0427 785 547 or Ann Millar 6253 5715.
- For people seeking relief from their power bills please call Aurora Energy on 1300 132 106, your name will be added to a register with Aurora.
For any further information or advice the following website may assist you
Please see below for documents that may assist you and your family after the bushfires
The community of Steele Creek in Victoria, who were effected by the 2009 Victorian bushfire, sent a heart felt letter of support to the residents in the bushfire effected areas in Tasmania