Animal Management

Dogs are an important part of the community and many people value their companionship. Council encourages owners to comply with the Dog Management Act 2000 and asks you to follow some basic guidelines which recognise the rights of all community members:

  • Ensure dogs over 6 months old are registered.
  • Dogs are to microchipped.
  • Clean up any mess left by dogs.
  • Ensure dogs are on leads on all roads, footpaths, nature strips and public walkways.
  • Inform Council on the death or transfer of ownership of a dog.
  • Dogs must not attack a person or other animal.
  • Don’t allow dogs to bark continually and cause a noise nuisance.
  • Maintain effective control of dogs.
  • No more than 2 dogs over 6 months of age, or 4 in the case of working dogs, on premises unless a kennel licence has been approved (outside a residential area).

If you dog is found outside of your property and Council picks up your dog it will be taken to the Council pound located at Main Road, Nubeena.

For more information about responsible dog ownership or for current registration fees please contact the Tasman Council on (03) 6250 9200 or email

Dog registrations must be paid by July 31st each year. Tasman Council offer a discounted period during July to encourage dog registrations.

New Dog Registration

If your dog has not been registered with the Tasman Council before, you must register your dog as soon as possible.

Change of Details to Your Dog Registration

If details of your dog registration have changed, you should notify Council prior to making payment. This can be done in person, by phone or email.

Evidence of Classifications for Dog Registrations

The following evidence needs to be produced prior to your dog being registered in the appropriate class.

De-sexed Dog

Certification of sterilisation from veterinary surgeon that the dog is sterilised or the provision of a Statutory Declaration.

Pure Bred Dogs

Certification of registration and pedigree issued by the Tasmanian Canine Association (TCA) or equivalent interstate certification, plus current membership card of TCA.

Working Dog

ABN number relating to farming business. Only applies to breeds recognised as working dogs by the Tasmanian Canine Association.


Registration certificate from the Tasmanian Greyhounds Racing Council.

Paying Your Dog Registration

Please refer to our Payments section for information on how to make a payment.

Registration Fees

Please refer to Councils Fees and Charges for information regarding registration fees.

345.7 KiB

Dog Management Policy 2012-2017


If you are having issues viewing the interactive maps, then please click here
Eagle Hawk Neck
Nubeena & White Beach
Port Arthur
Roaring Beach
Sloping Main


As of July 2011 it is legislative requirement under the Dog Control Act 2000 that dogs (working dogs and registered grey hounds are exempt) are to be microchipped. In 2011 Tasman Council held two microchipping days to assist local dog owners in having their dogs microchipped.  Council is currently considering holding a third microchipping day if there is sufficient interest.  If you would like to express an interest in another microchipping day please contact Council to have your details added to our list.  Further information will be given in the near future.

What is a microchip?

A microchip is similar in size to a long grain of rice.  It is 12 millimetres long and 1 millimetre wide and fixed with a unique number when manufactured.

How does my pet get a microchip?

With one quick injection beneath your pets skin, between the shoulder blade area (normally).  This injection is performed by your Vet at their clinic or at a local microchipping day in your area.

What happens after?

Your pets microchip will have 15 numerals, conforming to Australia and International Standards.  Once your pet is microchipped, a form in completed with your contact details which is forwarded to a national database.  Central Animal records (CAR) is one database that is recommended, as it has been accredited by the Australian Veterinary Association (AVA) and the Comestic Animal Registries watchdog (DAR).  Once prescribed with CAR, you will recevie, in the mail, a form of indentification to verify that your pet and ownership details have been received and listed.

What happens if my pet becomes lost?

If your pet is taken to a local microchip scanning centre (usually a Vet, Council or Welfare Centre), they will scan your pet with a Scanner and your pets microchip number will come up.  The Vet, Council or Welfare worker will contact a national database, for example Central Animal Records, to find out your contact details, so you can be called and reunited with your pet.

Cat Control

The State Government has recently introduced legislation covering cat control.

Cat Management Act 2009
Cat Management Regulations 2012

Local Wildlife

If an injured animal is found please contact;


For removal of snakes on private property please contact;

Further information regarding local wildlife can be found on the Parks and Wildlife Tasmania website